Some help please?

The first stop if you're just starting out or just don't know where to go.
CyN247
Level 1
Level 1

Some help please?

Post by CyN247 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:17 am

Ive been struggling with my spirituality for some time now...basically as far back as i can remember. I never felt like any religion 'fit' me. So I just based my beliefs on energy. Ive been having astral projection like dreams lately where Im visiting ancient ruins and others like me are there in spirit as well. I decided to start looking into paganism because i share some of the same beliefs. Im not sure what the dream has to do with this but some how it feels like it fits in. Im wanting to convert to paganism but i know there is so much to learn. Where do I start?

white_harmony

Re: Some help please?

Post by white_harmony » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:51 am

I've moved your topic to the Newbie forum, as I feel it might be better than the Guest Book :-)

Welcome to the forums! We think of ourselves as an online family more than an online community. Tell us a bit more about yourself, feel free to ask any questions that come to mind as someone is bound to have the answer, or help you find the answer you're looking for. There is much reading material in the Magick and Energy Usage forum area that would be on interest to you I'm thinking.

As for "where to start" with Paganism - You start where you feel most comfortable. Read anything and everything that beckons your attention, take everything with a grain of salt, form your own opinions and keep researching if all else fails. Hopefully we can help you find the path that suits you best. Also, check out the Book Club area, there are heaps of great references to reading material that may be of interest to you.

Again, welcome! :-D
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:24 am

Welcome to the boards!!

There is no initiation process with Paganism, though certain sects may have one. You don't need to "level up" before "converting." I always advise people to do what feels right rather than focus on labels. The wonderful thing about Paganism is that while we may all agree on certain ideas, all beliefs are "ok" and vary quite a bit. For instance, we have polytheists, monotheists, panthiests, animists, and duo-theists (my own word) all on this forum alone.

Welcome again!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:40 pm

Welcome to the boards!

I know this may seem like a difficult question, but what parts of paganism interest you the most? There are many different books out that are quite useful, but suggesting a book on Norse deities when what you really want to learn about are aspects of healing wouldn't help you at all. If you give us a few topics or areas that you'd like to get advice on or read about, then we can help direct more concretely.

I hope that we'll see you on the board. It's always good to get new opinions in the mix. :-D
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

CyN247
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CyN247 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:26 pm

Thank you all for your replies and advice. Im definately going to research all aspects of paganism and begin where i am most interested. Ive always been in to healing and energy so I will most likely begin there. What are the main facts I should know before I begin?

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:24 pm

Keep an open mind. No one can have "all the facts" no matter what "exalted source" they claim.

Um, don't try anything that doesn't feel right to you, no matter what any book or other practitioner says. If calling on a specific god/spirit/entity feels off, don't do it. If something doesn't feel comfortable, don't do it.

Be careful. Don't experiment with something if you don't understand what the author/person means exactly.

That's about all the advice I can throw out.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:34 pm

I do a bit of healing myself and I can certainly suggest a few books for you, but I would suggest that you don't try any of it until you have at least a little bit of energy training. Although you can heal without learning the energy manipulation first, a problem that many beginners end up having is that they take on the sickness of the one they are trying to heal.

I would suggest looking through our stickies down in the magic and energy section for a few beginner ways to work the energy first, but you can also do some "just reading" study while you're practicing. Personally, I am a Reiki Master. Reiki is an energy healing system that works to heal the person, instead of just treating the symptoms as does so many of the western medicines (Reiki is a healing technique developed in Japan by a man following a Buddist path. Interestingly enough, Reiki in and of itself is a very open technique and can be practiced in conjunction with any religion, even Christianity).

Of course, our resident CrazyHealerLady will be able to give you much better advice on the healing when she comes around. For all that she's younger than me, she is a Healing Master and I go to her for my advice on healing modalities.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:12 am

Kitsune wrote:Of course, our resident CrazyHealerLady will be able to give you much better advice on the healing when she comes around. For all that she's younger than me, she is a Healing Master and I go to her for my advice on healing modalities.
Geez Louise, make a girl blush... I've been here, just not posting. Haven't had time, just enough to read what everyone else is saying :) I still have about 20 messages and posts to sort through on Facebook >.>; I'm suddenly popular when I have less time!

I've posted a few great resources on here regarding healing. Healing is what took me along the path I'm at now. I was healing as a little kid, and had also discovered a few other psychic talents, and in my search to learn more about them, I came to Paganism. I didn't actually know that I was Pagan or call myself Pagan until I was on this forum at least a year, maybe two (I spent about a year trolling), so quite a while I went around with no title. The things that led me on were learning about what moved my soul: Healing, psychism, and animals. I learned to speak with animals (again) before anything, and the language of Nature, which led me to speak with Fae and to my Guides, which led me to greater realms of healing, which led me to channelling, which has guided most aspects of my life. When I go by guidance (be it my Guides or my Higher Self) everything goes right, and when it seems like it is wrong, it ends up being more right because it was first wrong. Does that make sense?

I love it when healers learn Reiki. It gives them new confidence in themselves, and really opens them up to their potential. Reiki is very protective, and when using Reiki, it is more difficult to take on another's issue. In the first classes you are taught how to not take it on and how to protect yourself and the client. By level II, most healers can feel the energy very clearly, if they haven't already. Level II is what made me really aware of the energy in my body and that being channelled. By sending distance healing every night, I could feel the pulse and vibration of Reiki. Then I noticed how it felt different than my own energy. And plain "universal energy."

Of course, Reiki may not come to you, may not appeal to you. It's a fantastic healing modality (stripped of its original content as it may be), but there are many others out there.

Just keep learning, kleep seeking. Ask and study. You'll get what you need :)
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG