Dipping my toes in...

The first stop if you're just starting out or just don't know where to go.
feathermask
Level 1
Level 1

Dipping my toes in...

Post by feathermask » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:51 am

:-) Hi there,

For the last few months, I've become quite interested in all things pagan, and I've been having fun researching it. I'm pretty sure that some form of paganism is the path for me, although I'm not set on one particular branch or tradition. I tend to approach all spiritual things slowly and cautiously, because I've had some unfriendly experiences with religion

I was born into a catholic family. My grandma was very religious but my mom wasn't until she got "saved" and converted to fundamentalist/charismatic protestantism when I was still a kid. I never felt comfortable in that whole scene, and left it for good around 5 years ago, but it was a long process. I found the fundy scene to be very oppressive, sometimes cult-like and unfulfilling for me.Sadly, I kept my mouth shut and followed the pack even during my teens. Eventually, I started studying more about the history of Christianity and the Bible and began to realize the the flaws in the doctrines I'd been fed. Also I suffered some emotional and physical abuse as a child in the name of religion, and it took me a long time to become outraged and realize that that was inexcusable. That didn't happen fully until I was around 25. Once I figured it out, I was out of there. So, after that difficult process, I thought I was done with religion/spirituality. But in a way I was wrong. I do feel that something is missing in my life. Maybe I do need some path to give meaning to my life, maybe the occasional ritual, etc. I considered going back to my cradle faith ,Catholicism, but realized that I couldn't accept the Church's dogma or official stances on most of the social issues.

Looking back on my life so far, the closest I've gotten to feeling a sense of "spirituality", peace, joy, etc, was by being out in nature and connecting with the seasons. I also always felt that the divine spirit whatever one wants to call it, has both a female and male aspect, not fully male, as i'd been taught. That's what brought me to thinking about paganism. Initially I was a bit scared of the concept of paganism/wicca, because of the negative connotations / stereotypes about it and because of the fundy indoctrination still stuck in my head. I'm also naturally VERY skeptical of anything "otherworldly" or any claims by anyone who says they are a magciian, prophet, seer, etc. I've seen SO many abuses of power in the Christian movement that I tend to be wary of any sect or leader. However, upon studying paganism, there tends to be room for many styles of belief and practice. It's not necessary for me to beleive in the literal interpretations of ancient myths. It's not necessary for me to join a group if I don't want to,I can be solitary practitioner if i please. I also enjoy the openess and general freindliness of the pagans I've met online so far, and(from video footage I've seen so far) the life-affirming and fun nature of pagan celebrations.

So here i am utilizing the pagan library, which I've found to be interesting and helpful. Mike Nichols site is also good. I 'm just learning about all this stuff, but I figured I'd stop in and see if i can learn from folks who have been travelling this road for a while.

Crazy Healer Lady

Re: Dipping my toes in...

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:03 pm

You've come to a very good place :) Many of us have had upbringings like yours. I'm just happy to see someone following their heart.

Wherever your path leads you, you're seeking, and when you seek, you find. Just keep doing what feels right. If it's Nature, then it's Nature. If it's Christ, then it's Christ. If it's gods and goddesses, then it's gods and goddesses. I don't think you ever need to pick a title for yourself, not even "Pagan." Just go with the flow and let yourself be inspired, be happy.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

white_harmony

Post by white_harmony » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:04 pm

Welcome to our little family :-D

I hope you enjoy your time with us, and hopefully we can help you out with your research into all things Pagan :-D
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Rowan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rowan » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:15 am

Hi feathermask,

I see you've made only the one introductory post, but I hope you'll come back. My background is rooted in Protestantism as well, though not to any extreme fundamental way, so I can identify with your feelings. I've found that while I have many many pagan friends, we all tend to do our own things. Some of our beliefs overlap, but not necessarily.

As one who is almost as new to paganism as you are, I welcome you. :) I haven't been a member long myself, but I feel these are good people here.

Blessings to you.

Rowan
I have lost my way.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:02 am

Welcome to you both.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Max
Level 11